Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Singaporeans.

I decided to not do a Wordless Wednesday today. All for this post and two instances that left me wondering.

Although I try hard not to label people, to be judgmental, but sometimes I do end up in that place where I don't wanna be. Labelling people. This, that, stuck up, jerk, superficial, and the list goes on. Let us be realistic yea, as hard as we do not want to be judgmental, but I do think the saying "First Impression does Last" holds some water in some cases.

I have heard of countless comments on Singaporeans from fellow Malaysians. Probably countless comments back for Malaysians too. The heat is especially maximised during MAS vs SIN football match the other day. Ah tak payah nak demokratik sangat ah Aleen, let me just tell you what has been lingering in my mind since forever.

First instance;
I was sitting down in Putra LRT on the way to KLCC for the GLC Open Day. Somewhere at either Kg Baru station or Dang Wangi station, the door opened, and a man walked in. He stood in front of me and my cousin, and started talking to us;
"Hello, do you know the way to the Singapore Embassy? Which stop should I take? (cheh dah macam Rebecca Black Friday song pulak)"
"Em, I think you can stop at the Ampang Park station, and walk a bit all the way to the Tabung Haji building. The embassies are all near there."
And then the man decided to tell us what has happened to him earlier this morning. Some snatch-thieves snatched his bag, and his essentials are all in the bag. His passport, money, laptop, clothes, pretty much everything important. He then went to make a police report and was told to go to the Singapore Embassy with some directions drawn on a paper probably by the police who took his report. He was even given some money for the fare, as he has not enough money at all.
He then went on to complain about Malaysians, much to the annoyance of us. I understood that he was probably very much upset by what has happened, and he could not enjoy his stay in Malaysia as he lost most of his money and clothes too. To our disappointment, he went on to say that Malaysians are incompetent, lazy, so on so forth. He even dared to comment on the LRT that he was riding, saying that MRT in Singapore is even better than ours.

Second instance;
I am currently taking one elective subject from the School of Arts, doing Contemporary Television Studies. My tutorial contains a substantial number of Singaporeans, and one particular girl with hijab caught my attention. She is particularly friendly with other people, so I figured, why don't I make friends with her? So whenever I see her, I smiled at her. Sadly, yes SADLY, she does not return my smiles, (which is quite rare, yes, because of my sombong face.) Kinda sad la jugak because I've been hoping to make friends with other Muslim girls from other countries too.

So these two instances left me wondering whether is it true that people that hails from the land of Lion are really kiasu? And do they really look down on Malaysians, as we are not as advanced, economically, technologically, as them?

Uncle, why did you really need to talk so rudely to us after you've asked for directions? You really know that you were talking to Malaysians, didn't you? I know you are upset and everything, but still, those comments aren't called for. Yeah I know you people probably have the fastest MRT in the whole wide world *rolling eyes* but maybe you lack something, like politeness maybe?

And my dear classmate, whyyyy la is it so hard for you to smile back at me? Is it because I wear not fancy shawls as you and just tudung bawal so I eez not as fashionable as you (Ok this is an inside joke)?  Is it because I eez not as intelligent as you Singaporeans (but I caught you staring at me when I opened my mouth in class just now). I so sad you know you don't smile at me. I so sad I think you don't like me you know.

Anddddd you snatch thieves!! Haih. Mencemarkan nama negara.

Hahaha. Yeah whatever.

Notakaki: What came into your mind when you first read this post's title? Hehe

5 comments:

Sofian Aziz said...

saya terpiker nak makan ayam percik la..hahahahaha

aleensie said...

hahahahha tak best langsung respon!!! boooooooo

faizulkhairi said...

apa2 pon kita kna proud to be malaysian and need to improve everthing if nak berdiri sama tinggi ngn org lain =)

Zinedine Zaiddin said...

I'm smelling singa laut panggang here.. *sniff* *sniff*

From your experience seems like rumours pasal Singaporean kerek dgn "kiasu" nya tu betul ler..

aufa's craps and scrapes said...

i hate to stereotype ppl jugak tapi seriously, there are some of them yg have this kind of attitude. (had a terrible experience dgn immigration. grrrr). tapi ada jugak jumpa yang baik2. so, maybe dah nasib terjumpa perangai pelik mcm tu kot. haha